C.E.G.A. – Creating Effective Grassroots Alternatives is a non-profit organisation registered under the Bulgarian Persons and Family Act in 1995 and re-registered in 2002 according to the new Act on legal entities with non-profit purposes as an organisation working for public benefit.
C.E.G.A. implements programmes funded by: European Social Fund, European Commission – Fundamental rights and Citizenship Program and EuropeAid, Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, Leonardo da Vinci Programme, Netherlands Organization for International Development and Cooperation Novib, the Westminster Foundation for Democracy (UK), PHARE-LIEN Program, PHARE Democracy Program (Brussels), German Marshall Fund, MATRA Program of the Dutch Government.
Main fields of work:
Field 1: Capacity building for social inclusion of disadvantaged communities
- Providing trainings and consultancy to local organizations, groups and authorities for effective work with disadvantages communities and for accessing funds, especially in the sphere of education and in-come generation;
- Facilitating dialogue between disadvantaged communities and the decision-making bodies.
Field 2: Improvement of policies for social inclusion of disadvantaged communities
- Running researches and identifying problems and good practices through cooperation of local organizations and communities;
- Participation in councils and structures developing policies for social inclusion of disadvantaged communities on local and national level;
- Running and/or participation in various kinds of monitoring on implementation of policies for social inclusion of disadvantaged communities on local and national level.
Field 3: Changing attitudes for social inclusion of disadvantaged communities
- Running trainings and seminars, connected with Human rights, intercultural dialogue and social inclusion through various stakeholders;
- Organizing events and campaigns promoting intercultural dialogue as a tool for social inclusion;
- Capacity building and strengthening the activities of C.E.G.A.’s youth volunteers network.
Field 4: International development
- Supporting the process of providing “Official Development Assistance” through the Bulgarian platform for international development.
- Promoting of good practices for working with disadvantaged communities in the developing countries, stated as priority countries by the Bulgarian government;
- Promoting Development Education in Bulgaria and building capacity on various levels for its inclusion in the formal educational system.
- Local organizations and groups, mainly working with the Roma community;
- Public authorities both on local and national level;
Young people are cross-cutting priority target group in all fields and activities.
C.E.G.A. is one of the founding organizations of the Bulgarian Platform for International Development. In 2009. C.E.G.A.’s director was voted Chair of the Platform Board for the next 3 years. C.E.G.A. participated actively in the development of the legislative framework of Bulgarian ODA policy.
As recognition for its achievements in promotion of democratic values, on May 18, 1998 C.E.G.A. was one of the two Bulgarian organisations (out of 50 in Central and Eastern Europe) awarded with the Democracy and Civil Society Award. This is a joint initiative of the European Union and the Government of the U.S.A. in commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Marshall Plan and 40th anniversary of the Treaty of Rome.